Tuesday 6 March 2012

Week 6 on the Lough... Sunday 5 February 2012

Okay week 6... and it brings with it a series of mixed blessings firstly I'm struck down with a viral infection... I'm bed bound from Wednesday unable to lift my head of the pillow... Then on Thursday my long awaited new gear arrives.... great the boxes lie unopened for a few days - not exactly as I'd planned it.

New Gear!!
Those lovely guys at SRS Mircosystems have finally delivered my new Pentax K-5 Digital SLR, and my ultra-wide angle lenses the Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (DX). I finally unpack them on Saturday morning but can neither muster up the energy or enthusiasm to go out and use them. Combined with the Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM, I bought from e-bay my kit is really starting to shape up.... a significant investment but I believe it will be worth it!!

I will use the kit a bit more before I deliver a user review but the Pentax K5 feels small in my hands... it has less bulk than my K10D and I'm not sure how I feel about that... but it could just be the virus affecting my judgement.

Back to Business:
It is Sunday morning before I managed to get myself together and 'get out on the Lough'. I started at Greer's Quay, a small fishing quay just south of Omeath village where the lobster boats were still tied up.  The bright blues and reds of the boats strike a strong contrast to the milky white washed out sky. The light is so diffused there is virtually no contrast and the lough (a sea lough over 16km in length and varying in width between 2.5km-5.5km) was as still as a mirror - not a wave was to be found for the two hours I was out. 
Lobster boats moored at Greers Quay, Omeath
Lobster boats moored at Greers Quay, Omeath (2)
Lobster boats moored at Greers Quay, Omeath (3)
 A slow walk along the beach towards Carlingford follows - I'm entranced by the stillness of the water and disappointed that my efforts to get out have not been rewarded with better weather....
Still waters run deep... was this the calm before the storm??
As I walked along the beach the well defined bands of stones, seaweed and discarded mussel shells became very obvious. In the picture below I used the defined bands as lead in lines as part of my composition - I think this has only been partly successful however I will try it again in better lighting.
The blue band.... 
 After only about two miles of walking I feel terrible and have to call it a day... I shouldn't have left the house... and I'm now feeling the pain.... Home James... and don't spare the whip..
Are you looking at us?? Two Irish Cobs say good bye
Irish Cobs overlooking Carlingford Lough
Abandoned Railway Heritage
In his survey of the Newry-Greenore Railway 'An Industrial Heritage Survey of Railways in Counties Monaghan and Louth' by Fred Hamond he briefly mentions: Three pillars survive on the seaward side of the Greenore-Newry railway for a pedestrian and vehicular accommodation crossing. An original timber post and wire fence runs eastwards from the crossing - he also denotes - No special industrial heritage significance... I think he's wrong!!

The gates, gate pillars and fantastic iron railings which run for about a length of half a mile are relics of the past - completely different from any other feature in the landscape. Now that the railway which once brought them here has disappeared they stand out with a regal Majesty that makes them unmissable. I wanted to explore more but wasn't up to it - these are on my to visit again in better weather list. 
Newry-Greenore Railway - Railing at Two Mile Bridge
Newry-Greenore Railway - Level Crossing Gate at Two Mile Bridge
Home... to bed



No comments:

Post a Comment