Tuesday 6 March 2012

Week 5 on the Lough (Part II) ... Saturday 28 January 2012

After my diversion at the Basin see my previous post I drove like a daemon until I reached the coast just south of Omeath. I pulled in at a little lay-by beside the bridge which crosses the  Ryland River and once again clambered across the old railway embankment and on to the shell and pebble beach.

My luck wasn't improving the tide was out... so far out in fact that there was no water to be seen... so long out that the seaweeds and vegetation that is usually underwater was exposed and frozen solid... I thought this would make an interesting set of photographs. I was able to walk about 300m out into the lough on to the mussel banks usually deep under water...
Early morning frosts at Ryland River, Carlingford Lough
Early morning frosts at Ryland River, Carlingford Lough (2)
Early morning frosts at Ryland River, Carlingford Lough (3)
Once the sun had got above the horizon and the drama had died down I continued to Carlingford... where I should have started my morning. Given the changing light I decided to photograph the harbour and tried my hand at a set of photographs which I'd convert to a panorama with my newly acquired Adobe Photoshop Elements 10  software.
Panorama of Carlingford Harbour 
Carlingford Harbour
Carlingford Harbour (2)
On the way home I parked at the Green Tanks and grabbed few shots of the  pontoon/piers remains on the Newry Ship Canal.... this part of our industrial heritage is slowly but surely rotting and disappearing away... without anyone even noticing... The sun was now trying its best to break through the clouds again (this is a very familiar story) creating a soft, warm light which adds significantly to the moody atmosphere of this sad nostalgic scene...
Piers on the Newry Ship Canal

Piers on the Newry Ship Canal (2)

Piers on the Newry Ship Canal (3)
Home for breakfast... Bacon butties with brown sauce and a cuppa tea...Perfick....



No comments:

Post a Comment